The role of a notary public in Ohio is an essential one. As impartial witnesses, they validate and help execute a variety of documents to deter fraud and ensure they are properly executed. But beyond the seal and signature, there's a less discussed aspect that's crucial to understand – the notary fees. In this guide, we delve into the specifics of notary fees in Ohio as of 2023.
II. The Basic Notary Fees in Ohio
In Ohio, notaries are allowed to charge for performing notarial acts. This includes tasks such as taking an acknowledgment, administering an oath or affirmation, taking a verification upon oath or affirmation, witnessing or attesting a signature, certifying or attesting a copy, and noting a protest of a negotiable instrument. As of 2023, a traditional notary may charge up to $5.00 for any notarial act that is not an online notarization. On the other hand, a notary authorized as an online remote notary may charge up to $25.00 for any online notary act.
Please keep in mind that probably you will end paying more for the service, check the next subtitle.
III. Additional cost for mobile notary services
Besides the basic fees for notarial acts, notaries in Ohio can charge additional fees under certain circumstances. These can include:
The platform will charge the notary anywhere from $5 to $15 for every notarization. More if there are more than one signer. In that case you will pay, as an example: $25 + $10 = $35
IV. The Concept of a Flat Fee
In certain scenarios, notaries may opt to charge a flat fee for their services. This means that instead of billing separately for each service provided, the notary consolidates all charges into a single, fixed rate. This flat fee can encompass a variety of services beyond the basic notarial act, as long as these additional services are disclosed and agreed upon in advance by the client. Here are some examples:
- Document Preparation: If a notary is required to print, send, or scan documents as part of their services, they might include these tasks within the flat fee. The cost of paper, ink, and postage could also be factored into this fee.
- File Conversion: In the digital age, notaries often have to deal with various file formats. If a notary needs to convert a document from Word or picture format to PDF for online notarization, this could be included in the flat fee.
- Travel Expenses: If a notary is required to travel to meet the client, the cost of transportation could be integrated into the flat fee.
- Platform Fees: For online notaries, the cost of using an online notarization platform could also be incorporated into the flat fee.
The advantage of a flat fee is that it can simplify the billing process and provide the client with a clear understanding of the total cost upfront. However, it's crucial that the notary is transparent about what is included in the flat fee to maintain trust and avoid any misunderstandings.
Cost for mobile notary service - Flat fee example
"We need to notarize some documents, and we require you to come to Starbucks. We will send you the documents via email. Can you print them? Additionally, could you please scan the documents and send them to email@example.com?"
Yes of course: The total cost for mobile notary services I will charge are $100 and that includes:
- Up to 10 notarizations.
- My travel fees.
- The scan forward.
- Laser Printing of up to 50 pages or Ink Jet Printing of up tu 100 pages.
- The meeting cannot last more than 60 minutes. So please be sure every signer is there on time.
V. Understanding the Ohio Notary Fee Structure
The Ohio Notary Fee structure is designed to ensure fairness and affordability of notarial services. While the state prescribes maximum limits for notarial act fees, it gives notaries some flexibility to charge for additional services and expenses incurred. It's important for notaries to disclose the total cost for mobile notary services to the customers.
VI. Mobile Notary Cleveland Ohio
Looking for a convenient notary service in the heart of Ohio? Consider a mobile notary in Cleveland! Whether it's for real estate transactions, legal documents, or other important paperwork, a mobile notary in Cleveland can be a game-changer. Want to learn more about how to find and utilize mobile notary services in Cleveland, Ohio?